June Highlights in Berlin: Carnival of Cultures, Fête de la Musique, International Turnfest and much more

The best time in Berlin is certainly early summer... when life starts to take place on the streets of the individual neighborhoods, the waterways and the many green oases of the city again. Not to forget: sports and cultural life continue to flourish as in no other metropolis in Germany.

The legendary Carnival of Cultures in Kreuzberg takes place from 2 to 5 June, which for the 22nd time will spread good mood. "The Carnival of Cultures came to be, on the one side, against the background of the growing internationality of the city, and on the other, as a reaction against the nationalism and racism that grew in the 90’s in Germany. The aim of the carnival was to celebrate the city’s diversity, as well as to make minorities more visible in the sphere. It was a clear positioning for the construction of a city based on inclusion," state the organizers.

Carnival of Cultures (c) visitBerlin, Foto: Philip Koschel

The Fête de la Musique takes us on a wonderful and musical journey on 21 June. The Fête de la Musique in Berlin is an event organized by the City of Berlin, 35% financed by the Governing Mayor of Berlin - Senate Chancellery and the Senate Administration for Culture and Europe, and 65% by means of the Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin. In addition to the decentralized "free music festival" in all Berlin districts, several tens of thousands of visitors come every year to listen to hundreds of music formations. Thank you to all the musicians who perform at Fête Berlin for free...

The temperatures are up - why not do sports outside? Or visit the International German Turnfest Berlin from 3 to 10 June. The festival is all about athletics and it culminates on 6 June in a very special highlight – the grand stadium gala at Olympiastadion Berlin. An unforgettable, emotional experience awaits you with around 70,000 spectators. More than 6,000 contestants perform a colorful and moving show. In addition to impressive and effective large group designs, international performances and musical guests will be part of the program.

Berlin has more outdoor bars than many other German cities, which are suitable for relaxing, having a sundowner or flirting. They sometimes also offer good cuisine. Here are a few to choose from:

Charmingly located in Neukölln on the roof of the mall Neukölln Arkaden is the creative art/cultural spot/bar Klunkerkranich. The spectacular view, the probably most delicious Vinho Verde offered in a beach bar, a diverse cultural program and a wonderful looseness characterize this place.

Breathe the air of freedom in my neighbourhood at Tempelhofer Feld - the city’s largest free space... Privately-operated possibilities to have a drink pop up once and again ... or act as a gardener!

Very picturesque is the gestrandet Mitte. 150 meters of waterfront offer the most beautiful sunsets over the river Spree.

Finally, the newly opened Holzmarkt has to be mentioned: A great project of visionaries who created - besides culture and living space - the gem Pampa & Spreelunke, which can quickly become a spot for a short city break on the weekends.

Another open-air highlight is the opening of the Monbijou-Theater. Premieres are celebrated on 10 June with Faust and 21 June with Macbeth... The performances of the frivolous Merry Wives of Windsor are also legendary. After the theater, you can dance a little bit in the accompanying Strandbar Mitte.

Merry wives of a special kind appear at the BKA-Theater in Neukölln. Ades Zabel has had house rights for several years now and has staged very critical and funny society bits in the past. The next premiere will be on 29 June under the title "From Ballermann to BER". Save your tickets!

The Geschwister Pfister offer another very recommendable revue with "How would you like it?" "Whether in a convertible on the Alpine pass, when camping on Lake Garda, in the villa of Ralph Siegel or at night in Rome - the Pfisters always have the right song. Along the way they come across several locals, well known songs from shows and all kinds of hits from the 1950s to 1970s at Luigi's Tavern." At the legendary Bar jeder Vernunft in the city’s most beautiful mirror tent.

Geschwister Pfister: Andreja Schneider, Tobias Bonn and Christoph Marti © Jan Wirdeier

I would like to draw your attention to a special show from Down Under: The Tap Pack at Tipi am Kanzleramt, the sister establishment of Bar jeder Vernunft. "Five Australian testosterone-packed hunks will be sweetening Berlin’s summer this year with an extraordinary show. The furious five tap dancers present powerful choreographies to the musical classics of both yesteryear and tomorrow in a performance that is energy-laden, explosive and presented with a generous portion of good old down-to-earth sex appeal. With shimmering tap, songs from Bublé to Beyoncé, from Sinatra to Ed Sheeran, the group sing, dance and entertain their way through a divinely glittering evening at the highest possible standard. They pick up where the legendary "The Rat Pack" (Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr.) left off in the swinging sixties. For the first time in Germany, The Tap Pack will be presenting their highly energetic song and dance show with live music on the stage of the Tipi am Kanzleramt."

Before the approaching summer break in Berlin, classical music is also on a high...

In the Staatsoper im Schillertheater, Les Pecheurs de Perles by Georges Bizet premieres - an interesting collaboration between Wim Wenders and Daniel Barenboim.

Der SCHUSS 2-6-1967 - Musiktheater by Arash Safaian (music) and Bernhard Glocksin (text) premieres at the much-acclaimed Neuköllner Oper. "June 2, 1967. Demonstration against the Shah of Persia. The city in uproar. A couple amidst the turmoil. He’s carrying a banner under his arm, she’s carrying a child in her belly. He wants to stay just a little while longer. She goes home and waits for her husband all night. But while Christa Ohnesorg is waiting, her home becomes the kaleidoscope of an entire era. Stars and unknowns emerge from the limbo of Zeitgeist and shed surreal light on her fate and the future of the whole country." Very recommendable!

A weak heart of Fyodor Dostoyevsky premieres as an outstanding play at the Volksbühne, for the last time under the direction of Frank Castorf. A weak heart is a short, silent and sad story, not of the impossibility, but of the intolerability of happiness. Castorf once again dedicates the play to his favorite poet in his last production at Volksbühne.

At Komische Oper, Monteverdi's The Coronation of Poppaea gets staged again.

And international stars are not missing in June in Berlin:

Udo Lindenberg and Andreas Gabalier enter the stage at the romantic Waldbühne, The Beach Boys, at Tempodrom and as a special highlight Depeche Mode, at Olympiastadion Berlin.

Simply stroll around at the festivals at Torstraße (8 to 11 June) and 48 Hours Neukölln (23 to 25 ​​June) or reflect mentally at the Long Night of the Churches on 4 June.

A liquid pleasure this month... Why not remember our own youth with a mud punch Berlin style? White peach juice from van Nahmen, Vodka Mise en Abyme from Berlin, Liebfraumilch reloaded, fresh peaches and pineapples and finally delicious vanilla ice cream from Vanille & Marille also from Berlin - mixed according to your preferences. Cheers!

Your Hagen Hoppenstedt

Go back

Tag Cloud